The best places to drink Gin in New Zealand are hard to define. There are bars that have the largest selection of Gin. There are bars with the best selection of Gin. There are bars that make the best Gin cocktails. So where do you start?
So the question is “if I were in this town tonight, where would I go for a Gin?”
– Nomad Food & Wine Best selection in Tauranga
– Wonder Horse Not an amazing or particularly large selection, but people that care.
– Brew Union Brewing Company
– Malthouse – 28 Gins (make sure you visit 12th August for a very special Gin surprise)
– Avida Bar
– Hawthorn Lounge – Lighthouse Hawthorn Edition Gin, 57.7% abv
– CGR Merchants – Infused Gins
– The Arborist
– Cod & Lobster Brassiere Largest selection of Gin in Nelson. Lots of interesting Gins, and bartenders willing and able to make fantastic gin cocktails.
– Whet Drinking Room 151 Gins. Largest selection of Gin in Christchurch, maybe New Zealand, as well as some of the best Gins in New Zealand. A selection that includes Gin’s you can’t get anywhere else in New Zealand.
– Volstead Trading Company 19 Gins. Better known for their ever-changing selection of wonderful New Zealand brewed craft beers. They already know that craft beer drinkers are naturally Gin drinkers too.
– The Last Word Named after a Gin Cocktail and have a fabulous selection of (mostly Scottish) Gins made by whisky distilleries
– Botswana Butchery The fact they drink menu starts with instructions on how to build your Martini, then a list of Gins available, makes this place a contender. Not the most extensive list, but worth the effort. Great Martinis. Beyond the Gin, the food and service here is amazing. Book ahead to get a table, like several days. (Don’t be fooled, the Auckland location is nowhere as good as Queenstown)
– The Blue Door
– Zanzibar 111 Gins
I’d love to be challenged on any of the above, and love to find out about new bars and restaurants that have the largest selection, the bestest selection, the rarest Gins. Firstly so I can get there, and secondly, so I can share these places with everyone else that loves GIN!!